Hello, reders welcome to chemwhite.com today we will explain about chemical equation and representation of chemical equation.
Read More – What is valence electrons?
What is chemical equation?
A chemical equation is one type of equation in which it represent in the form of symbols and formulae. and direction of chemical reaction and physical state of chemical of the reacting are also represented by symbols.
• Reactant – it represent on the left hand side.
• Products – it represent on the right hand side.
lets know with examples,
Repersentation of Direction of Chemical Equation
1. Net Forwarded reaction in chemical reaction the symbol is,
2. The state of chemical equilibrium in chemical reaction, the symbol is
3. Stoichiometric relationship, the symbols.
4. A reaction that occur in both forward and backward direction, the symbol is,
Repersentation of physical state of chemical reaction
- Solid (s) – solid state.
- Liquid (l) – liquid state.
- Gas (g) – gaseous.
- Aqueous (aq) – aqueous solution.
Types of chemical reaction
- Combination reaction
- Decomposition reaction
- Displacement reaction
- Double displacement reaction
In this reaction, combination of two compound to form single compound.
A + B – AB
H2 + O2 – H2O
2Mg + O2 – 2MgO
CO + O2 – CO2
In this reaction, involves breakdown of a compound into different compounds. example of these type of reaction are,
H2O – 2H2 + O2
Agcl – 2Ag + Cl2
A + BC – AC + B
In this reaction, A is more reactive then B. According to this, A is displace to B. it can displace it. Due to this product is AC + B.
lets take one examples,
Zn + 2HCI – ZnCl2 + H2
According to this reaction zn have more reactive then H. it mean, Zn are displace hydrogen. finely, it gives ZnCI + H2 as a product.
Double displacement reaction
In case of double displacement reaction, two compound react an exchange of ions to form two new compound are called double displacement reaction.
In this reaction, the positive ions exchange negative ions partners. it represent bye the general equation.
AB + CD – AD + CB
in this of double displacement reaction, the main concept are two compound and product are two different compound.
If the hydrogen and fluorine react together then hydrogen is oxidized whereas fluorine is reduced. the reaction can be written as,
H2 + F2 – 2HF
According to this reaction, hydrogen fluorine is formed as a product.
Reactivity series of Non – metals
- F – Fluorine
- CI – Chlorine
- Br – Bromine
- I – iodine
These are reactivity series of non – metals.
Reactivity series of metals
- K – Potassium
- Na – Sodium
- CO – Calsium
- Mg – magnesium
- Al – Aluminium
- Zn – Zinc
- Fe – Iron
- Sn – Tin
- Pb – Lead
- H – Hydrogen
- Cu – Copper
- Hg – Mercury
- Ag – Silver
- Pt – Platinum
- Au – Gold
These are all reactivity of metals.
Question and Answer
1. What are difference between oxidation and reduction?
- Adition of oxygen.
- Removel of hydrogen.
- Adition of non-metals Or electronegative elements.
- Removel of metals or electropositive elements.
- Loss of electrons.
- Addition of hydrogen.
- Removel of oxygen.
- Addition of metals or electropositive elements.
- Removals of non – metals or electronegative elements.
- Gain of electrons.
2. What are reactant and product in a chemical equation?
If you want to do chemical reaction, first you will know in a chemical equation, the reactant are any substance, or compound, both reactant are in left side of the arrow. the product are any new substance or compound (different from reactant) that were produced during the reaction. In a chemical reaction, they (product) go on the right side of the arrow.
2H2 + O2 (reactant) – 2H2O (product)
In chemical reaction, reactant represent left side of arrow and product represent right side of arrow as show on the reaction.